Return to Benefits

Sick Leave/Compassionate Leave/Domestic Violence Leave

Sick Leave

Employees who are unable to work because of illness or injury are eligible for sick leave – Article 30.06 of the collective agreement.

Sick Bank (Article 30.06 E)

Employees accumulate 1.25 days or 8.75 hours per month with full pay up to a maximum of 152 days (6 months). Part-time employees’ sick leave is pro-rated based on their percentage of employment.

This bank is insurance against illness and is drawn upon during an approved sick leave.

If you have been approved for a paid medical leave, please note that your current benefits will continue uninterrupted and the cost-sharing of benefits will be the same as if you were actively at work.

Illness of Dependents

You may use up to five days of your sick bank to deal with the illness and/or injuries of dependents. Eligibility is dependent on an employee maintaining twelve days in their sick bank.

A child, spouse, common-law spouse, same sex partner and/or parent is considered a dependent if she or he is related to the employee by blood, marriage, adoption, as common-law spouse, same sex partner, or is living in a marriage-like relationship with the employee.

Care Giving Benefits

Compassionate care benefits are paid to persons who have to be away from work temporarily to provide care or support to a family member who is gravely ill with a significant risk of death. EI will pay up to six weeks benefits for compassionate care of a family member or person the claimant considers to be like a family member.

For further information go to:

Short Term Disability

There is no short term disability plan beyond entitlement to the sick bank. Employees on sick leave with no time in their bank may qualify for Employment Insurance benefits (EI) through Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRDC).

During your unpaid sick leave, you will have to pay for whatever benefits you want to maintain.

 The Union pays for your Group Life, Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and your Long-Term Disability (Income Replacement Plan) premiums for up to four months.

Employment Insurance (EI)

If you are on an approved sick leave and have exhausted your sick bank, your department will notify Financial Services who will prepare a Record of Employment (RoE) so that you can apply for EI.

Normally Financial Services will mail your RoE after your final pay has been generated. It can also be picked up in person or by proxy if they have a signed letter from you authorizing them to do so.

You should apply for EI just prior to the expiry of paid leave or as soon as you receive your RoE.

You can now do this online. Payroll is able to make your RoE available to HRDC online as well. Sick benefits are currently 15 weeks at approximately 55% of your gross salary.

Long Term Disability (LTD)

The Income Replacement Plan (IRP) provides long term disability insurance for CUPE 2950 members who have become disabled from employment as a result of illness or injury.

To qualify, an employee must provide medical evidence that they are totally disabled from their occupation. There is a four month waiting period with the exception of a terminal illness where the waiting period is waived. The IRP pays 60% of your gross salary (non-taxable) and covers the premium costs of benefits.

Claim forms and detailed information concerning IRP can be obtained from the Disability Claims Assistant in the Department of Health, Well Being and Benefits (604-822-8696).

Further information is available at:

Workers’ Compensation

Employees injured in the course of their employment may qualify for Workers’ Compensation benefits.

Workers’ compensation is a no-fault insurance scheme for work-related injuries and diseases.

Under current rules, Workers’ Compensation pays 75% of an employee’s gross income (nontaxable) up to a certain maximum. The maximum value changes periodically. In addition medical and hospital bills are covered.

If you are injured at work, report the injury promptly and fill out the UBC Faculty & Staff Incident/Accident Report form your department provides you.

Detailed information regarding Workers’ Compensation can be obtained from the WCB Claims Assistant in the Health Promotions Department in Human Resources (604-822-8759).

If your claim is denied, please contact our Union Office about the appeal process.

Bereavement and Funeral Leave (Article 30.02)

Members are entitled to three days of compassionate leave for the death of an immediate family member and a request can be made to extend the leave by an additional three days. Immediate family includes an employee’s parent, grandparent, spouse, common-law spouse, same sex spouse, child or ward, grandchild, brother, sister, father-in-law, mother-in-law. (Article 30.02)

To attend a funeral (any funeral, does not have to be the same as the family members listed above), you are eligible for one day leave of absence upon notification to the department head.

Domestic Violence Leave (Article 30.14)

Where leave from work is required due to an employee or their dependent being a victim of domestic violence, the employee shall be granted up to five days of leave with pay per calendar year. Such leave may be taken intermittently or in one continuous period.

In special circumstances, the employee may be granted further leave without loss of pay or benefits.

Duty to Accommodate

As a matter of social policy, the Human Rights Code of British Columbia seeks to make workplaces more inclusive by enhancing the employability of mentally and physically disabled workers. The Code imposes an obligation on employers to accommodate disabled workers to what the jurisprudence describes as “the point of undue hardship”. That might mean anything from providing specialized equipment to altering job duties to fit a worker’s abilities and limitations.

If, in your doctor’s opinion, you have a medical condition or injury requiring work place accommodation, please contact our Union Office and we will refer you to the appropriate resource in Workplace Health Services (Human Resources) .

You can also find relevant information at:


If you have mobility impairment, you can obtain a special parking permit from the Access and Diversity Office.

Equity Office Accommodation Fund

The Equity Office funds, among other things, equipment for employees with disabilities. A request for funds must be made by the head of a unit to the AVP Equity who will approve the funding subject to advice from the President’s Advisory Committee on Equity, Discrimination and Harassment (PACEDH). For further information go to: